ClearOS Enterprise 5.1 Beta 1 Release Information
Released: October 5, 2009
It has a been a short 10 weeks since the release of ClarkConnect Enterprise 5.0. Of course, the big news since then has been the announcement that all features are now available for anyone to use in the true spirit of open source.
Even though this release will be quite stable, we will strongly recommend re-installing the software when the final release is available. The main reason: there is an experimental X Windows-based console tool that brings a fair amount of extra overhead (the X-Windows system). We plan on fine tuning this new console system to make sure:
- its footprint remains as small as possible, and
- it is easy to install/uninstall and enable/disable
Providing a clean upgrade path for this initiative would be a lot of wasted effort.
You may notice that the usual software module installer is not installed. Unfortunately, this feature is unavailable simply because the registration system is unavailable. Fortunately, you can still install software from the command line. To see a list of available modules, run:
To install one of these features, run:
yum groupinstall "module"
yum groupinstall "Content Filter"
Available in this Release
- Transition from ClarkConnect to ClearOS!
- Full access to the web-based administration tool from the console
- New web-based administration template including improved support for co-branding
- Source code cleanup in preparation for transfer to ClearFoundation
In the Pipeline
- Support for co-branding for ClearOS consultants and partners