Nick Howitt wrote:
Weird. That means a config restore into your old set up should have worked as well but the indications were that something was corrupt in both the set up and backup.
The only difference I can surmise is that this time I did the update then installed the backup configs.
So may be something got corrupted/broken on the original setup when the update applied
Just to update every one, Now done a fresh install with applied updates(7.4). Have tried the config restore which has worked a treat
All users/groups are working fine.
Thank you all for trying!
Ben Chambers wrote:
Can you try running:
Don't think it's your issue but would like to confirm.
Nope, that didn't work either. I have restarted the system several times to see if that would resolve any issues.
Dave Loper wrote:
On the box that I saw broken UIDs it was a matter of simply putting the user's ID back into the /home/username folder:
chown -R username /home/username
But that's the problem! the user nor the groups exist to the system yet show via the web GUI
I think the only way it's going to be solved is a fresh install. Not something I am looking forward to. I don't want to use a config backup to restore in case it fudges it again .
Dave Loper wrote:
I think I found a system out there that exhibits a similar problem.
Run the following for each of your usernames:
Then compare these with the /home directory permission UIDs:
ls -la /home
You may want to capture your LDAP as it stands...
slapcat -n3 > /root/ldapdump.current
And see if it is different from the ldif file found in your configuration backup from a week ago (best to back up these as well to local files)
Already done that and it says invalid user.
This is what is shown. with ls -la